Dr. Thomas P. Felke, MSW - Assistant Professor in Social Work
My focus in my current position at Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU) is two-fold. First, as a professor, I strive to provide my students with useful knowledge they can apply to the real-world situations they will experience as social work practitioners. Second, as a researcher, I focus on topics of direct importance to the most vulnerable populations of society both domestically and internationally.On an international level, I have combined these through research and direct service work in Armenia and the Caribbean. In Armenia my research focus was on the situation of ethnic Armenian refugees from Nagorno-Karabakh and Azerbaijan. In the Caribbean I have focused on the development of educational collaborations that allow for comparative analyses of social welfare policies and services.I have sought to become proficient in related aspects of my work by attending trainings and workshops across the country. These have included multi-level trainings on Geographic Information Systems (GIS) as well as workshops on project management, group facilitation, educational assessment, and a seminar on child development and evaluation at Yale University.My employment with Catholic Family Charities and the Connecticut State Department of Social Services has provided me the opportunity to work in agency-based settings, as well as urban settings, through several projects in satellite offices and programs of both organizations.